Anyone wishing to pursue a Coaching or Leadership Qualification is required to centrally register with their appropriate National Association. These are British Canoeing, Scottish Canoe Association, Canoe Wales, or Canoe Association of Northern Ireland.
Our handy how to video guides you through the process!
Registration is separate from booking a place on a course; the latter is done directly with the Course Provider. It is worth noting that many Course Providers want to see evidence of Registration at the point of booking.
For your Assessment Check In Service you can read more here: Coach Award Check In
What is registration?
Registration is the process by which you confirm your intention to study towards a particular qualification.
- Checking of previous qualifications
- Completing the Registration form
- Extends your Membership Insurance to cover whilst your studying (see National Association website for more information).
- Medical Declaration (if required)
- Setting up and providing access to course resources and eLearning (where applicable)
- Acceptance of the terms and conditions of study and helps you understand your rights whilst undertaking the qualification and how your data will be used.
When does registration take place?
We would recommend that you register as early in your development journey as possible to access all of the support and learning resources. To support your learning we would recommend registering at least two weeks before starting your training course.
Qualifications that require registration and fees:
Registration varies depending on type of course and ranges between £17.50 and £135 depending on the qualification. National Associations are subsidised by public sector grants to support UK functions and therefore International registrations range from £25 – £135.
|Type of Qualification||Example||When||UK Resident Member Fee||Non-UK Resident Member Fee|
|Paddlesport Instructor||N/A||Before Course||£45||£70|
|Coach Award||Advanced Sea Kayak Coach, Freestyle Coach||Before Assessment||£45||£70|
|Performance Coach||Performance Sheltered Water Canoe Coach||Before Mentoring begins||£135||£135|
|Discipline Support Module||Slalom, Freestyle||Before Course||£17.50||£20|
|Paddlesport Leader Award||N/A||Before Assessment||£39||£50|
|Moderate Water Leader Award||Sea Kayak Leader, Surf Leader||Before Assessment||£39||£50|
|Advanced Water Leader Award||White Water (Advanced) Kayak Leader||Before Assessment||£39||£50|
|Raft Guide||Stadium Raft Guide||Before Assessment||£39||£50|
The National Association provides:
- Advice, support and guidance
- Registration services
- Provision of Internal Verification
- Provision of digital platforms and resources
- Administering qualifications
- Enhanced insurance
British Canoeing Awarding Body provides
- Advice, support and guidance
- Administration of Qualifications
- Design and development and continual review of Qualifications
- Design and developments of resources and eLearning
- Insight and innovation
- Delivery Centre Compliance Verification Visits
- Ofqual and other Regulatory body requirements
Direct registration benefits include:
- This meets both Ofqual and British Canoeing Awarding Body registration requirements.
- Ensures that we collect the required data to administer your qualification on your behalf and ensures you understand how that data is used.
- Check that you hold all of the required training and qualifications (reducing unsuccessful assessments and candidates attempting qualifications that they are not ready for).
- Reduces administration checks required on assessments, via the included Check In service, allowing you to focus on your assessment.
- Ensures that we understand the demand for our courses and allows us to develop appropriate numbers of Providers, ensuring a sufficient number of courses are available.
- We monitor development and are able to offer support to candidates who are not moving through their pathway as expected.
- Allows us to provide quick and free opportunities to change your pathway if circumstances change.
Indirect registration benefits include:
- Ensures that we supply you with the right resources at the right time to support you in your development and your chosen pathway
- Ensures we collect the appropriate Medical Declaration information and where required, plan for and agree reasonable adjustments.
- Allows us to support your development pathway and share appropriate assessment opportunities with you.
- Reduces the risk of candidates attending course before they are sufficiently experienced and prepared.