In January 2021, British Canoeing Awarding Body will introduce a new Leadership Award suite aligned to the British Canoeing Awarding Body Educational Philosophy, aimed at increasing the number of qualified leaders and providing more opportunities for people to paddle.
The new awards are ideal for clubs, centres and activity providers looking to lead groups on single or mixed craft journeys, from sheltered water to advanced water.
The awards suite have optional training and direct entry opportunities. This means you can start your development journey TODAY to ensure you are prepared for the new awards in January.
Your individualized journey to becoming a qualified leader
Leaders can choose their development journey. This can be through formal training opportunities or more bespoke opportunities, for example private tuition, in-house training through a workplace, working alongside/shadowing other Leaders, or conference/symposium workshops.
- Leading skills: From January 2021, there will be optional Leadership training courses available across disciplines. These courses cover leadership skills and group management, associated personal skills, safety and rescue skills. Alternatively, you could ask an already qualified leader to support your development through shadowing.
- Personal skills: The Personal Performance Awards are a great way of supporting your skill development across a range of environments and disciplines. Alternatively, why not ask a coach or leader at your club for some coaching on the specific skills you require.
- Safety skills: A range of the leadership routes have safety or navigation training as a prerequisite. Why not book your course now! Safety is paramount across all disciplines and environments. Now is a great opportunity for some in house development at your centre or training within your club.
Don’t wait until January – start your leadership journey today from the comfort of your sofa…
- The Leadership eLearning package is an optional supportive resource that takes you through some of the key principles behind the British Canoeing Awarding Body Model of Leadership, exploring influences on a leader’s behaviours as well as leadership approaches
- The digital library is full of resources to support you in your understanding and knowledge, alongside other eLearning such as buoyage, nutrition and looking after the environment.
All Leaders will require –
- Valid (within 3 years) recognised First Aid award, appropriate for the qualification – Book the relevant First Aid course today!
- Valid (within 3 years) Safeguarding Training – choose the relevant safeguarding training for you.
- Membership provides liability insurance. Visit your National Association website to get your membership today.
Now available on the British Canoeing Awarding Body website…
- The Leadership and Raft Guide Self-Analysis tool will enable you to identify specific areas of development. You can plan your unique learning journey based on your responses.
- The downloadable logbook gives you the option to record your experience, forming a diary to capture and aid reflection. This will help you consider your progress ahead of an assessment as well as keeping a record once qualified.
- The guidance for leading mixed craft is ideal if you’re looking to become a Paddlesport Leader or Paddlesport Touring Leader.
- Whether you’re driving 20 miles down the road to a new location or planning an overseas expedition, the leading in an unfamiliar environment resource will provide top tips and considerations.